Sunday, September 11, 2011

an experiment--I need your help!

Mark Doty (whose collection, Fire to Fire, is changing my life right now) says:

If you write a poem with the aid of a thesaurus, you will almost inevitably look like a person wearing clothing chosen by someone else. I am not sure that poet should even own one of the damn things.

I used one thesaurus aided word in the below snippet. Can you find it? I'm super curious about the conspicuousity (<-- should be a word, sounds less conspicuous than conspicuousness) of thesaurus-inspired verbiage.

Post your guess as a comment. C'mon...it'll be fun... :-)

An overdue conversation

"You shake your head. I scowl,
laugh, our voices mingle, swirl,
dizzy with proximity, relieved
to bounce around the others'
predicable tonality, to mingle
in such familiar vibrations, modulations.
Pitches pause, hitching with joy at
our squabbles, sighs, even our
silence."

4 comments:

  1. Hitching? Mostly because I don't know what it means in this context. Or modulations, because that's a thesaurus word. Everyone knows it, but no one knows they know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hitching. But if I have to be original, then ... proximity?

    ReplyDelete