Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"Splitter of majesty"

This is one of my all-time favorites.  I've posted it before, but it floated back into my mind today.  

Hymn-Jack Kerouac


"and when you showed me brooklyn bridge 
in the morning, ah god...
and the people were slippin on ice in the street
twice, twice
two different people came over, goin to work 
so earnest and tryful, clutching their pitiful morning daily news 
slip on the ice and fall 
both inside five minutes 
and i cried, i cried 
that's when you taught me, tears
ah god, in the morning, ah thee 
and me leaning on the lamppost wiping eyes
eyes, nobody's know i'd cry 
or woulda cared anyway 
but oh, i saw my father 
and my grandfather's mother
and the long lines of chairs 
and tear sitters and dead
ah me, i knew god
you had better plans than that 
so whatever plan you have for me 
splitter of majesty 
make it short, brief, make it snappy 
bring me home to the eternal mother 
today, at your service anyway 
and until..."

1 comment:

  1. i knew i should out myself as a lurker, but this post has forced me to, and made me wonder why on earth i'm not reading more Kerouac, dammit. Thanks for this. and the blog in general. keep doing it.
    that sounded a little rude. *Please* keep doing it. thank you.

    ReplyDelete