Saturday, July 25, 2009

metawriting

I just realized how lazy I am when it comes to writing things down. I haven't really written anything, even just a simple story, in such a long time. I always forget what hard work it is.  (Poems are different, I seldom if ever actually work on poetry. Labored poetry is hardly worth it, I think, mine anyway, when I work too much on it, always comes off heavy-handed. Perhaps I'll change my mind on that, but I don't think so.)

Anyway, I really wanted to write down a particular event from the vacation I just took with my mom & sister. I didn't just journal it, I really tried to write it like I'd like it to sound, like a story, and it took an hour but felt like several hours, and I'm actually tired. I might be extra tired because of jet-lag, etc, but I know it's mostly writing-tired. Like head-tired. Also, so much of what I write just sounds so incredibly different than how it sounded in my head. And not a good different. I know that's natural, and I don't beat myself up for it, but it's very disconcerting anyway. It's hard to admit that I've very very rusty at that kind of writing (telling stories). I'd like for it to always come so naturally the first time. 

I had a writing teacher in college who encouraged "meta-writing"...writing about writing, which is actually sometimes a really good idea, if only because it makes you feel a little more sane. So that's what this is. 

ps. I'll post that story on here and a few more from the trip soon...it was a great week in Mankato, Minneapolis and Chicago. Great pictures, too. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment