Sunday, January 3, 2010

broken street.

One time I ran away
got to the end of the broken street
(they've paved over since
now it's smooth, dark, neat)
then it was all cracks and gutter rivers.
I dodged each one, flying
free, and the whole time
barefoot, that whole minute
sprinting away. I was gone--
I was somebody.
I had a name I gave myself
not the one you gave to me
and I could sing, anytime
and you couldn't stop me.
and the moon danced for me,
sighing, 'oh, honey,'
'run while the night is still young.'

Hair streaming, in an undershirt and jeans
unpresentable--what would the neighbors think?
Feet burning, wheeling around corners
until running further
would have really changed things.

I walked back, the whole way
and sat on the porch
and cried,
and held the cold bruises
on the soles of me,
and the moon sighed with me.




No comments:

Post a Comment