Sunday, January 24, 2010

the impossibility of things

I am more myself these days
-myself, a reoccurring theme with me-
but I'm also you
when I smile this way
determined, amused and beyond words
at the state of every union,
at the impossibility of things.

Every time you smiled, I read stories
in your eyes, which, objectively
were rather muddy
in color and creed,
but I was not objective
and didn't think color
signified much, certainly nothing
having to do with clarity.

Every time your smile spoke things
the poet in me
heard beyond the words.
This kind of listening became
a dangerous occupation
to say the least.

See to me you knew everything--
and your high elevation became
a dangerous position,
impossible to keep.


Still just now I caught myself

amused at everything
aware of everything
seeing everything
holding all the colors of all the world
at a safe distance
and laughing.

And that's either
what I learned from you
or what you taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment