Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Glen Davis: the most frightening dodgeball player in my subconscious mind.

I had especially bizarre dreams last night.


I was watching a dodgeball match. I thought, oh, dodgeball, this seems fun. But it wasn't fun, it was pure terror. Huge hulking men (inspired, I think, by last game...that one Celtic, the big guy with the crazy eyes who looks like he's going to eat the Lakers) rawred and impaled one another with dodgeballs.

Then I was told to join the game, and I found myself on the sidelines trying to explain that I would not be at all good at dodgeball. In response to this, I was handed me a pink balloon which was apparently going to be my one defense. I wasn't really sure how it would help me, but that didn't stop me from feeling more prepared as I held it in my hand.


Next, I was sitting at a train station. A family, obviously on vacation, walked up to me. The father wore a Hawaiian print shirt and a camera around his neck. He was excessively normal-looking. He handed me a kitten and asked me to hold on to it for a moment. He lay the kitten down so its tiny belly rested against my upturned forearm. This felt unsafe, but I couldn't shift my arms to get a better grip. Sure enough, a moment later the kitten bounded off my arm and into the train tracks, which quickly became the 110 freeway. Cars swerved and honked and the tiny, tiny little ball of fur got squished and rolled underneath. The family disappeared.

I was in my classroom next. I told my class to put everything away and give their full attention up front. One girl kept reading (a specific student in my first period, who in reality is very sweet) so I asked her quietly to stop reading her book, and she looked up at me and spit her gum in my face. Shocked, I told her to step outside with me, but when I tried to discipline her, she spit her gum in my face again and then she snapped her jaw at me rather like a piranha. I was beside myself with outrage at the disrespect she was showing (I didn't find her actions strange, just disrespectful.)

That was it. My subconscious is tired now.

No comments:

Post a Comment